Say hello to the newest member of the Shakeology family— Chocolate Vegan Shakeology. When Tropical Strawberry Vegan was introduced this year, Beachbody also announced that it was planning to reformulate and re-blend its existing flavors so that they would also get the vegan treatment. The existing Chocolate blend contains whey protein. This is a great source of protein, but for people who are sensitive to milk based products, or who have made a personal choice to not eat products which contain animal sourced ingredients, whey protein was not ideal.
With the introduction of Chocolate Vegan flavor, however, all those concerns are history. The whey protein has been replaced with plant based protein sources. Specifically, sprouted brown rice and peas. This formulation is not your typical protein from soybeans that most other plant based protein powders use. For one, protein from sprouted brown rice and peas is less gritty than soybeans. Secondly, soybean extracts have been linked to the lowering of testosterone for men in certain studies. Not a good thing if you want to build muscle!
Changing the protein source is not the only adjustment Beachbody has made to create Chocolate Vegan Shakeology. It is now sweetened with luo han guo, a fruit indigenous to China that is 300 times sweeter than sugar. This fruit has been used as a natural sweetener to aid in weight loss and controlling diabetes for over 1,000 years.
How Does Chocolate Vegan Shakeology Taste?
Awesome. I had a chance to taste Chocolate Vegan Shakeology last weekend at its introduction event and I can report that it’s been a hit. It tastes like dark chocolate with slight undertones of nuttiness and earthiness. While it is not as smooth as regular Chocolate Shakeology, I was expecting that because I have been drinking Tropical Strawberry Vegan Shakeology and know that whey protein does blend more smoothly. Even so, Chocolate Vegan Shakeology will not disappoint the chocoholics out there.
What If You Want to Stick with Regular Chocolate Shakeology?
No worries. Just because there are more options doesn’t mean to have to take them. Chocolate Vegan is going to be an addition to the Shakeology line. It is not intended to replace regular Chocolate Shakeology. If you love the existing flavor and don’t want to switch to the new vegan formulation, that’s great. However, I urge you to try it at least once. Check out the video below to learn how Chocolate Vegan Shakeology earned its place in the product line.
What Are the Top 10 Reasons for Trying Vegan Shakeology?
- It’s like having your own personal cheat sheet to a vegan diet. Get the benefits of a vegan diet without fully going vegan or even trying! The health benefits of a plant-based diet are well documented—from lower cholesterol and lower risk for heart disease, cancer, and diabetes, to easier weight management and fewer digestive issues. But you don’t have to follow a 100% vegan diet to enjoy some of these health benefits. One vegan meal a day will put you well on your way to a healthier you!
- No animals allowed. Chocolate Vegan is a completely plant-based formula with NO animal products. Give your system a break from heavy animal proteins by replacing one meal a day with Chocolate Vegan Shakeology.
- Superfoods to the rescue! Chocolate Vegan includes 5 new superfoods: moringa, coconut flower nectar, luo han guo, Himalayan salt, and konjac root. All of the key nutrients come from natural whole foods. There are no added vitamin or mineral isolates and no fortification.
- Taste all-natural chocolate for the first time. Ever wonder what cacao tastes like right out of the pod from the cacao tree? Chocolate Vegan Shakeology is the way nature intended chocolate to taste. Its rich, earthy chocolate taste is derived solely from whole-food ingredients with no additional flavoring agents.
- It’s FREE . . . lactose free and dairy free that is! If you’re lactose intolerant or have trouble digesting whey protein, then this is the shake for you. Most people have trouble digesting dairy, whey protein, or animal proteins and don’t even know it—until they try a plant-based protein meal and they just feel the difference!
- Fructose is a thing of the past. It takes all kinds of sugars to make the sweet world go round, but there are a lot of fructose haters out there. Chocolate Vegan is made with coconut flower nectar and luo han guo—two whole-food superfoods that are so naturally sweet, there’s no need to add fructose! I won’t get into the pros and cons of fructose, but suffice it to say that if you’re anti-fructose, then Chocolate Vegan or Tropical Strawberry are for you!
- Protein PACKED. One of the first questions vegans get is “Where do you get your protein from?” Well, plants have protein in them too! And so does vegan Shakeology. 16 grams in fact. Chocolate Vegan and Tropical Strawberry are crafted from an easy-to-assimilate blend of whole, plant-based proteins including sprouted brown rice, pea, sacha inchi, chia, flax, quinoa, amaranth, and spirulina. Not only do they offer 9 essential amino acids, but together they are a complete protein source with sufficiently high levels of lysine and methionine, two important amino acids that are often a limiting factor in plant-based diets.
- Kiss cravings goodbye. The new ingredient konjac root, in both Chocolate Vegan and Tropical Strawberry Shakeology, will help your cravings disappear! The fiber in this new wonder-food absorbs up to 200 times its weight in water, making you feel fuller, longer. No wonder places like Japan and China have been using it for centuries! Other perks include: help with regularity and healthy blood sugar and cholesterol levels.
- Take a bite out of the “Tree of Life.” Chocolate Vegan’s new ingredient moringa is called the “Tree of Life,” because it is one of nature’s most nutritious foods. This superfood contains 90 nutrients and 46 antioxidants along with ALL of the essential amino acids. Plus, according to some studies, moringa can help boost energy, lead to faster recovery, and balance out blood sugar levels.
- It’s got the stamp of approval. Chocolate Vegan Shakeology is another addition to the Beachbody Ultimate line—a collection of the highest-quality products Beachbody has to offer. Beachbody is committed to putting the most perfect whole-food ingredients at your fingertips so you can operate at your highest level of nutrition, health, and well-being!
You Might Like My Other Shakeology Related Posts
- I wrote about Vegan Tropical Strawberry Shakeology here.
- Read this article about the Superfood Formula Chocolate Shakeology.
- Shakeology stops my cravings for chocolate truffles, and this lady’s cravings for sugary cereals. Watch the video here.
- Wondering if you should take Shakeology with multivitamins and supplements, read this article.
- Shakeology helped this man reverse the onset of diabetes. Watch the video.
- I discuss in detail all of Shakeology’s benefits in this post.
- In another post, Kristin talks about how Shakeology allowed her to toss away her medications for her digestive problems.
- Watch a cool video about how doctors are recommending Shakeology to their patients.
- Shakeology’s ingredients are grown and harvested around the world. This video reveals it all.
- I have a little fun and compare Shakeology to a McDonald’s Hamburger Happy Meal. It wasn’t pretty.
- I also compared Shakeology to a popular beverage from Starbucks.
- Daren Olien, the creator Shakeology, discusses how he partnered with Beachbody in this article. Read Part 2 of the Birth of Shakeology here.
- Check out out how Shakeology can help you with digestion with its prebiotics.