If you drink Chocolate Shakeology and get it on the Home Direct shipping plan, you might have recently noticed that it comes in a new bag design. The difference is more than packaging, because Beachbody has changed the formulation of Chocolate Shakeology to include more Superfoods. As a Team Beachbody coach, I had heard this was in the works but didn’t know when it would launch. As of two weeks ago, the new Superfood formula for Chocolate Shakeology began shipping. Unlike Chocolate Vegan flavor, which augments the Shakeology line, the new Superfood formula will permanently replace the original Chocolate flavor. That means Chocolate Shakeology as you know it is a thing of the past. Admittedly, Beachbody could have handled the transition better than they did, but it is what it is. This post is intended to explain to you why Beachbody made its decision to change the formula. Read further and you’ll see it was not a cost-cutting measure. Rather, its purpose was to make Chocolate Shakeology even healthier by eliminating some fructose and adding additional Superfoods to the blend.
Why did Beachbody change the formula for Chocolate Shakeology?
Darin Olien, the co-creator of Shakeology, and Beachbody’s team of expert nutritionists decided to update the formula with four new Superfoods and a whole host of other improvements. The original chocolate Shakeology flavor launched three years ago and development started two years before that. Over the past five years since Shakeology was conceived, there have been many new Superfood discoveries and improvements in agricultural sourcing of key ingredients. Read the interview with Darin where he discusses the amazing benefits of the Superfoods in Shakeology here.
When Beachbody introduced Shakeology to the world, its primary goal was always to provide to its customers the most cutting-edge, most healthy shake possible. Some have compared Beachbody’s move to change the formula of one of its top selling products to the iconic Coca-Cola misstep of “New Coke.” Let’s not forget, however, that Beachbody is not in the business of making high-fructose sugar-water. Beachbody is in the business of making the healthiest shake on Earth—and will continue to refine and improve its formulas so that Beachbody stays light-years ahead of the competition. Carl Daikeler and the Beachbody crew do not rest. Their mantra is improve, improve, improve.
If you complain loudly and long enough, will Beachbody bring the old formula back?
Most likely no. I participated in a telephone conference with Carl Daikeler, the CEO of Beachbody. He made it clear that there is no going back to the original formula. Beachbody remains committed to its customers and is taking every piece of feedback (good and bad) into consideration and are exploring ways to minimize the aftertaste and improve the flavor of the new formula. But, there are no plans to bringing back the original chocolate Shakeology flavor.
Where can I send my feedback?
Beachbody want to hear your thoughts and opinions loud and clear! I encourage you to send any feedback you have to WeCare@beachbody.com. Beachbody’s executive team will be looking closely at all your feedback, so that Beachbody can continue to provide the highest quality (and most-liked) product. Please keep your views productive and constructive.
What exactly did Beachbody change in the new formula?
- LESS FRUCTOSE. Yes, fructose is a natural sugar found in fruit, but the bottom line is that it’s still sugar. Beachbody reduced the fructose in each serving of Chocolate Shakeology by about 3 grams and added the super-sweet Superfoods Coconut Flower Nectar and Luo Han Guo to replace the eliminated fructose.
- MORE FIBER. Beachbody increased the fiber count by about 3 grams per serving, thanks to the addition of pea protein. More fiber is good news, as it will help you feel full even longer, reduce your cholesterol, and improve your digestion process.
- 4 NEW SUPERFOODS.
- Moringa is rich in Vitamin C, Calcium, Vitamin A, Protein, Potassium and Iron. Moringa has anti-inflammatory and anti bacterial properties and is known to promote energy, vitality, athletic performance, and weight loss—while boosting the immune system and protecting against disease.
- Coconut Flower Nectar is the sweet, nutrient-rich nectar produced by coconut blossoms. It contains 17 amino acids, minerals, and vitamin C, has a broad spectrum of B vitamins, and is high in potassium, magnesium, zinc, and iron. It’s also loaded with inulin, a prebiotic fiber, which feeds our intestinal flora and helps boost digestive and immune functions.
- Luo Han Guo is said to be 300 times sweeter than cane sugar and could have a positive impact on coughs and other respiratory ailments. And recent research has revealed that it may work as an antioxidant to help eliminate free radicals that can cause serious health concerns.
- Himalayan salt is the “healthy” salt, containing more than 70 trace minerals, and may help prevent acne and tooth decay.
- Lastly, Beachbody ALSO incorporated the improvements it made when Beachbody launched Tropical Vegan Shakeology:
- More concentrated grasses. Beachbody is using grass juice powders. The grasses are first pressed into juices—which allows the nutrients to concentrate more—then the juice is dried down to a powder.
- Better strain of probiotics.
- No suma root or blue-green algae.
What’s up with that aftertaste? Why does it taste like an artificial sweetener? Did Beachbody increase the level of stevia?
Beachbody has never used and never will use artificial sweeteners in Shakeology. Beachbody has heard all the feedback from its customers on the aftertaste and are taking it to heart. Beachbody is looking at ways to optimize the formula to minimize the stevia-rich aftertaste. The amount of stevia is the same. But with a LOT less fructose in the formula, the stevia bitter/metallic aftertaste seems to have become more prominent for some people. Coconut flower nectar and luo han guo are whole foods that are naturally sweet and are not as overpowering as fructose, which is another reason why the stevia aftertaste seems to be coming out more than before. Again, Beachbody is looking at ways to optimize the formula to minimize the aftertaste. Again, there are no artificial sweeteners or chemicals in Shakeology!
I rarely drink Shakeology by itself. I have always made Shakeology smoothies, so I have not noticed a big difference. Here are some things you can mix in your Chocolate Shakeology to help minimize the aftertaste:
- A dollop of vanilla yogurt or vanilla Greek yogurt
- A banana
- ½ an avocado
- More PB2 peanut butter powder
- Switch from plain almond or rice milk to vanilla almond or rice milk
- Try coconut water or coconut milk or vanilla coconut milk
Why is it less sweet and chocolatey than before?
You may notice it tastes a lot less like a Wendy’s frosty. That’s because there’s less sugar overall and WAY less fructose. Sugar and fructose amplify the chocolate taste and smell. Although I recommend that you allow your taste buds to get used to the new formula, here are some things you can mix in to help increase the sweetness or chocolate flavor:
- Switch from vanilla almond or rice milk to chocolate almond or rice milk
- Add a teaspoon of cocoa powder
- Add honey, agave syrup, maple syrup, chocolate syrup
I have tried the new formula and hate it. What should I do?
Perhaps it will take you a few days to adjust to the new flavor. Give it a try for seven days to give your taste buds time to adjust. Chances are, you’ll realize you actually prefer the new formula to the original. Remember WHY you drink Shakeology. Is it for the incredible energy you feel? Better digestion or regularity? Weight loss? Better health? Lower cholesterol? Shakeology, after all, is a health shake. While taste is very important, there’s nothing nearly as healthy as Shakeology on the market. Shakeology is a nutritional health shake first and foremost—it’s a Superfood protein shake. The changes to the formula were to bring you even more Superfoods and health benefits.
Why does the new Superfood Chocolate Shakeology smell different?
Due to reduced sugar and fructose, the “sweet” aromas are much more subdued. Sugar and fructose amplify the chocolate taste and smell you’re used to.
Why is there brown rice protein and pea protein?
It adds fiber and helps ease digestion of protein.
The new Chocolate Shakeology formula has less sugar. Will it still prevent my junk food cravings?
Yes! Itʼs not just the sugar that kills your craving. Itʼs feeding your body with all the right nutrients. When your body is properly nourished, it doesn’t crave foods it knows won’t help anymore.
Why does the new formula have 10 more calories than the original formula? (160 vs. 150 in the old formula)
The slight increase in the number of calories comes from the slight increase in the amount of fat (from 1g to 2g), which added an extra 9 calories per serving (Beachbody rounded it up to 160 calories). These are extremely healthy nutrient-dense calories. Not “empty” calories. In a typical diet, the extra 9 calories is negligible.
Why is there 1 more gram of fat in the new formula?
It’s because Beachbody upgraded its source of natural cacao. Your body needs healthy fats. The fat in cacao is the healthy kind (like the kind of fats found in olive oil and avocado). Also, the nutrients found in healthy fats (essential fatty acids) can help stave off cravings.
Why is there more sodium? What is Himalayan Salt? Why was it added into the new Chocolate Shakelogy formula?
Salt and sodium are necessary in our diets. Unfortunately, common table salt has been stripped of its natural minerals and only iodine has been added back in. Himalayan salt is completely natural, relatively untouched, and as a result, still contains over 70 trace minerals. All these natural minerals found in Himalayan salt actually make this salt healthy for you. Keep in mind that the RDA is 2400 mg. People who follow a low sodium diet generally restrict sodium to as low as 1500mg/day. So at 150mg, Chocolate Shakeology only represents 10% of the recommended daily intake.
Is the new chocolate Superfood Chocolate Shakeology formula gluten-free?
Just like the original formula, the new Shakeology chocolate Superfood formula does not contain any gluten-based ingredients—and Beachbody makes every effort to prevent any ingredients with gluten from coming into direct or indirect contact with its products. However, Beachbody feels that it is inappropriate to make a claim that Shakeology is gluten-free because Shakeology is produced in facilities that also handle gluten based ingredients. If you have a concern about gluten, it is best to consult your doctor before making any dietary changes. Or, you can try half a serving to see if you have any allergic reaction.
Shakeology packaging used to say it was gluten-free. Why no longer?
Because the safety of Beachbody’s customers is extremely important, Beachbody felt it was prudent to include the statement that Shakeology is made in a factory that also handles gluten (wheat) based ingredients—and it removed the Gluten-Free statement. This does not mean that Shakeology contains gluten! In fact, the Shakeology formula does not have any gluten-based ingredients and Beachbody makes every effort to prevent any ingredients with gluten from coming into direct or indirect contact with its product. This is taking a very conservative approach because the health and safety of consumers is Beachbody’s number one priority.
You Might Like My Other Shakeology Related Posts
- I wrote about Vegan Chocolate Shakeology here, and Vegan Tropical Strawberry Shakeology here.
- Shakeology stops my cravings for chocolate truffles, and this lady’s cravings for sugary cereals. Watch the video here.
- Wondering if you should take Shakeology with multivitamins and supplements, read this article.
- Shakeology helped this man reverse the onset of diabetes. Watch the video.
- I discuss in detail all of Shakeology’s benefits in this post.
- In another post, Kristin talks about how Shakeology allowed her to toss away her medications for her digestive problems.
- Watch a cool video about how Doctors are loving Shakeology and recommending it to their patients.
- Shakeology’s ingredients are grown and harvested around the world. This video reveals it all.
- I have a little fun and compare Shakeology to a McDonald’s Hamburger Happy Meal. It wasn’t pretty.
- I also compared Shakeology to a popular beverage from Starbucks.
- Daren Olien, the creator Shakeology, discusses how he partnered with Beachbody in this article. Read Part 2 of the Birth of Shakeology here.
- Check out out how Shakeology can help you with digestion with its prebiotics.
Contact Me for More Information About Shakeology
Enjoy healthy nutrition RISK FREE for 30 days with Beachbody's "Bottom-of-the-Bag" Guarantee. That means, if you don't feel healthier, more energized, and simply amazing, you won't pay. You can return Shakeology for any reason and get your money back (less S&H) even if the bag is empty!
Click the link below to try Shakeology. Shakeology is not sold in stores and is only available from a Team BeachBody coach or directly through Team BeachBody.
Remember to order using the "HD" (Home Direct) option when you check out. You'll receive FREE standard shipping with Home Direct.